Church Lane|Brailsford|Ashbourne|DE6 3BX
Vicar: Rev’d Paul Taylor
Church Office|Saracen’s Head Buildings|Main Road| Brailsford|Ashbourne DE6 3DA
Tel: 01335 361239
Curate: Rev’d Phil Michell
Tel: 07815 940409
Readers: Alan Coker Mayes, Jennifer Kitchen, Ian Mansfield
Patrons: The Bishop of Derby & Earl Ferrers
All Saints Church is located within the Diocese of Derby. It is located midway between Brailsford and Ednaston and shared by the two villages. The site of the church is known to have been a place of worship for over a millennium following the discovery of Saxon Cross dating back to the 10th century in the early 1900s, evidence of Saxon foundations beneath the north wall and the carbon dating of a magnificent thousand year old yew tree sited in the churchyard. Furthermore the dedication to All Saints was commonplace in the early Mercian period (600-900 AD).
The oldest parts of the present church are two Norman pillars – one supporting the west arch to the south aisle and the other supporting the north side of the chancel arch. It is probable that the Norman south arcade was of four bays as today. The west respond and third column are in situ. The first column is octagonal and was probably chamfered in situ in the same circular form as the third. A record of the church and its inventory was made in the Domesday Book of 1086.
The chancel dates back to around 1320 and is a fine example of the decorated period. The present tower, containing a ring of six bells, was built around 1500. The oldest bells are dated 1717. The upper part of the church porch was rebuilt in 1629. While the lower part of the porch was restored as part of a large-scale restoration project undertaken in the mid-1800s. One of the features of the church is the fine carved bench ends. These were installed in the mid-1880s and are in the style and form of 16th century designs found in Devon and Cornwall at the behest of 19th century church warden and benefactor, Clement Boughton Kingdon, who hailed from Cornwall. All Saints Church is listed Grade I.
For more information on the history of the church click here.